HOTH BASE

So welcome to my first post, my LEGO Hoth Echo base MOC. Some history on the build, it was a rebel base on the ice planet Hoth and was featured in Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes back (my personal favorite). Anyhow, the base gets discovered by the Empire, which then comes to destroy it and the remainder of the Rebel Alliance.


Here's the first picture. This is an overview of the entire base. This isn't my favorite angle, and this picture was taken before some major updates to the base which you can see in other pics. Anyhow, the big open space in the middle is a hangar bay.  The room at the bottom of the picture is the command center. There is a trench outside of the base. And in the upper right-hand corner, you can see a medical area with Luke's Bacta tank.





These pictures show the trench on the outside of the base and the giant hangar doors. This part wasn't too tricky, and the only hard part was getting enough white pieces to cover the entire thing with snow. As you can see, I added a lot of turrets and guns to the trench just to make the battle a little grander with only my two Hoth Rebel mini-figs. My tips when building snow would just be to add as much detail as possible. And it isn't that difficult. All you need are a couple of studs and cheese wedge pieces, and you can give your builds some serious texture and atmosphere.




Here you get a nice view of the command center. Originally, there were no black pieces here, but after looking at some photos, I realized that the black was needed. Also, the wires that are attached to the consoles add the cluttered feel that Hoth needed. Another detail I liked was using the big window pieces as the monitors. I know that Lego has made actual pieces for those monitors, but I think my version works pretty well too. I think that this room is my favorite out of the entire MOC.


Here you get a look at the combined hangar/medical bay area of the MOC. This part just built itself because after stacking up some pieces I realized that this would make a good extended hangar bay. I'll get into more detail on this in the next few pictures.


Here's the medical bay with Luke's Bacta tank. This area wasn't too difficult to build, and I like the way that this turned out. On the sides, you can see some random controls and supply containers. Looking back on this, the only thing I would've done differently would be to add the cot that's also featured in the movie.



Here is the storage for my custom mini snow speeder. On the side, you can see a little vehicle used for transporting supplies, and there is a ladder that goes up to the catwalk.




Now, this was by far the most difficult part of the build. Making the mini snow speeder.  The challenge here was that I had to make a snow speeder that could fit into the mini hanger that I had built. Now, I could've just made a mini version with no cockpit, but what's the fun in that. This wasn't the first model since most of the prototypes were too big. Overall, I'm really happy with how this turned out, and it's also really fun to play with!

Thank you for reading this first post, and may the force be with you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog